Trainer: Ljiljana Simic
Type of education: workshop
Participants are expected to demonstrate intercultural competency in their multicultural environment. This means to be able to adapt to and learn different practices of different cultures.
The main emphasis of this training is on practical and applied understanding to complex issue of EU institutional cultures and its advantages.
They will be expected to demonstrate the ability to observe, analyse and interpret variation of cultural dimensions, using them and gaining their intercultural skills.
They will also :
– understand the complexity of intercultural aspects within the EU as a workplace
– discover the impact on their own cultural frame of reference of values, norms and behaviours
– recognise how stereotypes obstruct their communication
– develop various intercultural skills for different working styles
– create culture sensitive working place and practices
Course n°1 (3 h) Introduction
· Road mapping or how to define a culture?
· Frame of references within the EU motto – United in Diversity?
· What is the state of play in the EU regarding diversity?
Course n°2 (3h) Contextual/situational aspects of National/Organizational and Professional culture
· Our own frame of references, our own cultural self-awareness and unconscious biases?
· Measuring personal and organisational CQ (drive, knowledge, action strategy)?
· EU intercultural image – perceived and desired?
Course n°3 (2h) Developing intercultural strategies
· Developmental models and concepts (Hofstede’s value dimensions, Bennett’s stage of development, etc)
· Different cultural orientations (time, power, work sequencing, etc)?
· Techniques for multicultural problem solving (EU culture clusters)
Course n°4 (2h) Experiental learning – simulations
· Cross-cultural management (negotiation, high vs. low context,
· Intercultural leadership behaviour/inclusion (empowernment, accountability, etc)?
· How to balance cultural concerns?
· EU values and its external cultural action – cultural diplomacy?
Resources available ( Powerpoint presentation, sillabus, texts…)
PPT, articles, files will be given after each workshop